Saturday 16 August 2014

la fête des bergers


There's a noticable chill in the air as I set up my little spinning corner this morning. A clear sign that Autumn is not far away. But as the waves of tourists start to arrive, the temperature slowly rises. 

By the time the little herd of sheep is rounded up and brought down the ski slope hillside, the sun is shining summer bright.


Throngs of tourists have come up to the mountain for an "authentic" day out, to catch a glimpse of a pastoral heritage which some would say is fading further away with each passing year.

They gather around the sheep fold, patting and prodding the livestock waiting to be shorn. They sun themselves on the hillside, watching the sheep dog demonstrations. They crowd around me and my spindle and wheel.
  

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful area you live in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I have to pinch myself to remember that it is neither a dream nor a holiday!

      Delete