Sunday 20 July 2014

graduation




July 20th 2012. Graduation Day. Truly one of those "once in a blue moon" sort of days.

A day we thought would never come.

It was a day of euphoria for me and my family. Rightly so. We had come so far together, overcome so many difficulties.

I can remember on the day being washed along in a tide of immense and deep founded joy: the relief at having finally finished, the pride of achieving First Class Honours, the fun of swishing about town in my billowing gown, the support of my parents who helped me to get there, the encouragement of my big brother and sister who had blazed the trail long before me.

Now when I think back to that day, the thing that makes me happiest is to look at the picture above, to see myself, almost indistinguishable in the crowd. Sat beside my peers, not in a room all on my own.

For once looking normal, just like everyone else.

2 comments:

  1. This post is amazing, Fran, and it really resonates with me (so much so that, despite feeling rubbish, I wanted to write a comment now - sorry if it doesn't make sense!) Just to be normal, like everyone else and like all my fellow students, is something I long for with everything I have. I'm just so happy to have found your blog - it is a huge inspiration for me.

    It is wonderful to read of your graduation, and I'm so pleased to hear that you remember it with such joy, and euphoria - it was certainly well deserved! I really hope that you are doing as well as possible, and that your relapse is starting to ease. I hope, too, that there will be many more similar moments of euphoria for you in the not-too-distant future.

    Bisous,
    Katharine
    x

    www.katharineandME.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely!
      It's taken a while to reply, but I was so happy to hear your response to this post.

      There were many dark days during my degree (especially in the years after I switched to part time study). But the one thing that really kept me going was the thought that one day I would get to the end and I would graduate. I knew it was possible because I had read plenty of other stories of graduates with M.E. which is why I wanted to share my own, to help inspire and encourage others. (Which is why I'm delighted my words resonated with you!)

      Bisous xxxx

      Delete