Sunday 27 July 2014

black and white yarn (hand-spun)


I had kept behind some white singles from my last project because I wanted to experiment with a two-tone double ply yarn.   

I fell in love with the black fleece the moment I clapped eyes on it. Never mind if the locks seemed a little dry, or were heavily matted with straw and...well, we'll keep that a secret between spinsters.

I had already spun with it back in April, during one of my earlier attempts at the wheel. At the time it had been a real pain to spin, but I put it down to my lack of experience. Coming back to it again this time round, I realise that the difficulty lay in the fleece itself: they were brittle (probably through age) and far too short to spin easily (probably because the fleece had been twice cut).

I struggled to find much pleasure in spinning the black singles, although my mood lifted considerably once I had plied the singles together. And at least I'll have learnt that sometimes even a free fleece is a little two much effort...



※※※

"Black and white yarn"


Ingredients: around 30g of washed and carded wool. The fibre used was white and black Barégeoise from Gèdre.

Spinning: Two singles spun from all rolags in the Z direction, using the woollen technique.  
Plying: two singles plied in the S direction until balanced. 

Finishing: Wound off into a skein, washed and dried weighted to set the ply.
Quantity: 30g giving 59m of finished yarn

No comments:

Post a Comment