Thursday 27 June 2013

"If you have a garden..."

We had a garden. But our little veggie patch is no more. 

Compared to the destruction all around, the loss of life, of possessions, of livelihood and the months of disruption that lie ahead, it seems almost shameful for me to be weeping over a few lost potatoes.

But I feel so heart-broken at the knowledge that our seedlings are now under a mess of mud and stones, that our potatoes are now bobbing about in the Atlantic.

I found pottering in our garden so restorative and therapeutic, and had been looking forward to continuing throughout the summer season.


Cicero said, "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

We might not have a garden any more, but we still have each other, and a roof over our heads. Which is a darn sight more than some people in our valley right now.

And besides, I've also still got a heap of books by my bed just waiting to be read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment