Thursday 7 August 2014

la fête du mouton


A few weeks back, I joined a little association of local producers and hand crafters. Earlier in the week, we were each invited to set up a little stand at our village's annual "Fête du Mouton". 


Although I was a little nervous at first (it's not easy to spin good yarn when your hands are shaking!) I soon got into the swing on things. 


My little stand pulled a large crowd throughout the evening. I took onlookers through the processes of fibre production from sorting to carding to spinning on both spindle and wheel. It was a wonderful experience to be able to share my craft with locals and visitors of all ages and nationalities. At one point we even had a ball of my yarn and a pair of needles going round the assembled crowd with onlookers doing a row or two here and there.

And to think I've only been a spinster since mid-March. 



(Photo credit: Marie-Bernard Hourtané)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's really great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! I'm off to do it again this morning...although this time, I'll be up at over 1500m! Will have to wear plenty of woolies because I think it's gonna be cold this morning!

      Delete
  2. That's amazing! Your little booth with your spinning tools and your yarns is heavenly. I wish I could participate to more events that promote the revival of old crafts.
    I bet that you ahd a wondeful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! It was all put together a little "à l'improviste" because I've been very occupied with following "une cure" just recently. But I was very pleased with how it all came together, and even more with the reactions of the onlookers, espeacially the children who were mesmerised!

      Delete